For this biennial Honour List, published in connection with the IBBY Congress, National Sections of IBBY are invited to nominate outstanding recent books that are characteristic of their country and recommended for publication in different languages. One book can be nominated for each of the three categories: writing, illustration and translation. In 2016, for the first time IBBY Australia nominated a translator—John Nieuwenhuizen for Nine Open Arms.
The books selected for the Honour List must have been first published no earlier than three years before their nomination.
IBBY Australia does not call for titles to be submitted by publishers. A panel of three experienced judges reads widely, consults recent publications, reviews and awards lists, and, after further reading and discussion, makes the decisions.
Following is the Australian Honour List:
* 2020 Illustrator: Lisa Kennedy – Wilam: A Birrarung Story text by Aunty Joy Murphy and Andrew Kelly
* 2020 Writer: Clare Atkins – Between Us
* 2018 Illustrator: Matt Ottley – Teacup text by Rebecca Young
* 2018 Writer: Zana Fraillon – The Bone Sparrow
* 2016 Illustrator: Freya Blackwood – Banjo and Ruby Red text by Libby Gleeson
* 2016 Writer: Felicity Castagna – The Incredible Here and Now
* 2016 Translator: John Nieuwenhuizen – Nine Open Arms (author Benny Lindelauf)
* 2014 Illustrator: Patricia Mullins – Lightning Jack, text by Glenda Millard
* 2014 Writer: Ursula Dubosarsky – The Golden Day
* 2012 Illustrator: Gregory Rogers – Hero of Little Street
* 2012 Writer: Glenda Millard – A small free kiss in the dark
* 2010 Writer: Sonya Hartnett – The Ghost’s Child.
* 2010 Illustrator: Shaun Tan – The Arrival
* 2006 Writer: Sonya Hartnett – The Silver Donkey.
* 2006 Illustrator: Jan Ormerod – Lizzie Nonsense
* 2004 Writer: Simon French – Where in the World?
* 2004 Illustrator: Andrew McLean – A Year on Our Farm, text by Penny Matthews
* 2002 Writer: David Metzenthen – Stony Heart Country
* 2002 Illustrator: Ron Brooks – Fox, text by Margaret Wild
* 2000 Writer: Margaret Wild – First Day.
* 2000 Illustrator: Graeme Base – The Worst Band in the Universe
* 1998 Writer: Peter Carey – The Big Bazoohley.
* 1998 Illustrator: John Winch – The Old Woman Who Loved to Read
* 1996 Writer: Emily Rodda – Rowan of Rin.
* 1996 Illustrator: Peter Gouldthorpe – First Light, text by Gary Crew
* 1994 Writer: Garry Disher – Bamboo Flute
* 1994 Illustrator: Patricia Torres – Do Not Go Around the Edges text by Daisy Utemorrah
* 1992 Writer: Libby Gleeson – Dodger
* 1992 Illustrator: Rodney McRae – Aesop’s Fables
* 1990 Writer: Nadia Wheatley – My Place
* 1990 Illustrator: Jeannie Baker – Where the Forest meets the Sea
* 1988 Writer: Alan Baillie – Riverman
* 1988 Illustrator: Bob Graham – First there was Frances
* 1986 Writer: Nadia Wheatley – Dancing in the Anzac Deli.
* 1986 Illustrator: Julie Vivas – Possum Magic text by Mem Fox.
* 1984 Writer: Joan Phipson – The Watcher in the Garden
* 1984 Illustrator: Pamela Allen – Who Sank the Boat
* 1982 Writer: Ruth Park – Playing Beatie Bow
* 1982 Illustrator: Heather Philpott – The Rainforest Children
* 1980 Writer: Lilith Norman – A Dream of Seas.
* 1980 Illustrator: Percy Trezise and Dick Roughsey – The Quinkins
* 1978 Writer: Eleanor Spence – The October Child
* 1978 Illustrator: Robert Ingpen – The Runaway Punt
* 1976 Writer: Patricia Wrightson – The Nargun and the Stars.
* 1976 Illustrator: Kilmeny & Deborah Niland – Mulga Bill’s Bicycle
* 1974 Writer: Ivan Southall – Josh.
* 1974 Illustrator: Ted Greenwood – Joseph and Lulu and the Prindiville House Pigeons.
* 1972 Writer: Colin Thiele – Blue Fin
* 1970 Writer: Patricia Wrightson – I Own the Racecourse
* 1962 Writer: Nan Chauncy – Tangara