Posted on March 29, 2011 by Mylee J
There is great excitement amongst the members of IBBY Australia, as we extend our congratulations to Shaun Tan winner of this year’s Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award, the largest award for children’s and young adult literature with a prize of five million Swedish krona.
As the jury said: “Shaun Tan is a masterly visual storyteller, pointing the way ahead to new possibilities for picture books. His pictorial worlds constitute a separate universe where nothing is self-evident and anything is possible. Memories of childhood and adolescence are fixed reference points, but the pictorial narrative is universal and touches everyone, regardless of age. Behind a wealth of minutely detailed pictures, where civilization is criticized and history depicted through symbolism, there is a palpable warmth. People are always present, and Shaun Tan portrays both our searching and our alienation. He combines brilliant, magical narrative skill with deep humanism.”
Filed under: Awards | 1 Comment »
Posted on March 4, 2011 by Mylee J
Saturday, 2nd April the birthday of Hans Christian Andersen is celebrated worldwide as International Children’s Book Day. There are a myriad of ways to do this in schools, libraries and homes. Some suggestions include:
• reading and promoting stories by HC Andersen
• introducing folk tales from around the world
• invite a local storyteller to tell HC Andersen stories and/or folktales from overseas
• inviting parents from other cultures to share their childhood favourites and folk tales
• suggesting your own book club read an overseas children’s book
• encouraging children to write a story about a child from another culture
• start a pen pal club with children from abroad
• encourage each class to create a diaorama featuring a folk-tale or story from elsewhere
• explore flags, food, clothing, housing and stories from other cultures
• invite fellow staff members to have a lunch or gathering where they speak for about a minute or so about their favourite children’s book
• and light a candle for world peace.
There are a number of events around Australia that you can join in on:
All authors and those interested in promoting children’s literature are invited to join the Children’s Book Council of Australia (Tasmanian Branch) as we celebrate Hans Christian Andersen’s birthday/ ICBD. We particularly invite authors attending Home Truths, the Tasmanian Writers’ centre’s weekend literary festival, to join us. Hobart details contact Patsy Jones and Launceston details contact Nella Pickup
There is to be a Dinner at Villa Roma, 9-13 High Street, Fremantle where participants will be invited to share a favourite quote or verse from a loved children’s book. Last year’s Dinner has become a treasured memory and we look forward to another enjoyable evening. The cost will be $55.00 (Cash only and Drinks extra) and bookings can be made by contacting Jenni Woodroffe on 08) 9367 4759 by Monday, 28th March. Some WA authors and illustrators, including Mark Greenwood and Frane Lessac will be present and there will be raffles and spot prizes
New South Wales
Windows and Mirrors: Books for Today and Tomorrow – a celebration for International Children’s Book Day on Saturday, April 02, 2011 from 1:30 PM – 4:00 PM at Santa Maria del Monte School in Strathfield. Featuring well known Australian authors Jeannie Baker and Nadia Wheatley. IBBY Australia Members / Concession = $25 Non-members = $30 Booking details.
Filed under: International Children's Book Day | Leave a comment »